Friday, November 28, 2014

Rocketship Nashville: Gifts for Students + 12 Days of Christmas Hats: Day 1 - Geometric Beanie

My best friend, Sarah, is one of the founding staff members at the new Rocketship Nashville School. She's pretty awesome. We've been best friends since we were in middle school, but it's been about 10 years since we have lived in the same state. We haven't been very good about keeping in touch all the time, but we have one of those friendships where once you do pick up the phone, it's like no time has passed. Sarah works extremely hard at being the best teacher she can be, and she truly cares about her students.

The other day on Facebook, she explained that she was going to be collecting money to buy gifts for some of her less fortunate students who won't get much for Christmas. Here is the link to her fundraising site. Your small donation will make a big difference to a little boy or girl in Nashville.

After she posted that, I sent her a message asking if she wanted to include some cold weather accessories in the gift. I had a HUGE bag of crocheted hats and scarves sitting in my hallway that I was trying to figure out what to do with. They were mostly things that I had made while trying out patterns or figuring out stitches. She said she would love them as some of the students do not have appropriate cold weather clothing.

I went through the bag, and I realized that most of the things I had made were pretty girly - bow beanies, lacy infinity scarves, hooded infinity scarves, etc. I had to make up some boy stuff, and quick! Sarah needs to have everything by mid-December. So I set about to making some simple boy-ish beanies.

Because I was using mostly stash yarn to make the hats, I had to be creative with doing color changes and making each hat unique and awesome. This is how 12 Days of Christmas Hats was born. I was writing down all the patterns anyways, so I might as well share them with all of you!

So, here is the first hat: Geometric Beanie. This hat is sized for elementary students (size L - 18"-22"), but you can use this post to help resize the pattern if you need it in another size. For the spike stitch pattern to work out correctly, you will need to have a multiple of 6 stitches after your final increase round.
 
Geometric Beanie
 
 

Materials:
  • 2 colors of worsted weight yarn - you will use less then half a skein of each color
  • I hook
  • J hook
  • yarn needle
Directions:

Round 1: Using I hook and color 1, in magic circle, 12dc, join to first dc

Round 2: ch 2 (counts as stitch throughout), dc in same stitch, 2dc in every stitch (24), join to beginning ch
 
Round 3: ch 2, dc in same stitch, *dc in next stitch, 2dc in following stitch, repeat from * (36), join
Round 4: ch 2, dc in same stitch, *dc in next 2 stitches, 2dc in following stitch, repeat from * (48), join

Round 5: ch 2, dc in same stitch, *dc in next  3 stitches, 2dc in following stitch, repeat from * (60), join

Round 6-9: ch 2, dc in each stitch around (60), join

Round 10-12: switch to J hook, ch 1, sc in each stitch around (60),  join

Round 13: switch to second color, ch 1, sc, sc spike 1 row down, sc spike 2 rows down, sc spike 3 rows down, sc spike 2 rows down, sc spike 1 row down, repeat from * 9 more times (60), join

  • Note: Keep your spike stitches lose
Round 14: ch 1, sc in each stitch around (60), join

Round 15-18: switch to I hook, ch 2, dc in each stitch around (60), join

Round 19: switch to J hook, ch 1, sc in each stitch around (60), join, fasten off and weave in ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment