Friday, June 20, 2014

Making Pretzels

So I bought this book the other day at Half Price Books (for $7.98).

I loved all the pictures and some of the recipes looked delicious.

When I got home and looked at it a little closer, I realized that it was British. Some of the ingredients were things that I had never heard of - caster sugar, strong flour, treacle. A quick Google search told me that those were simply granulated sugar, bread flour and molasses. Okay, I can handle that.

The ingredient amounts gave me pause as well...350g? 5oz? What do those even mean? Is that like 2 cups? Then I remembered that I had this nifty measuring cup from France - thanks French family!

Problem solved.

This morning, I decided to try the pretzel recipe. Looks good, huh?

I took about 3 1/2 hours...but I was able to make 16 delicious pretzels (12 salted, 4 cinnamon and sugar) that have no unpronounceable ingredients. Pretty productive morning, if I do say so myself.

Here's the pretzels from the book:

Here's my pretzels:

Up close:
        Salted                                      Cinnamon and Sugar

My twisting technique could use a little work, but my taste buds can't tell the difference! And, bonus - my house smells like the mall...well, the tasty smelling part of the mall, anyways...

So, what new things have you been up to?






No comments:

Post a Comment