Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Last Minute Hat Making

Two of my students, a married couple, are having a baby. They told me on Monday that it is a boy. I had until Wednesday morning, the last day of class, to make them a hat (because, well, that's what I do when people have babies).

Monday afternoon, I got a message from my friend, Susan, who is traveling back to her home state of North Carolina, to visit some friends who are in the process of adopting a little boy from Korea. She wanted to bring them something special, and wondered if I could make a hat. Of course I can! We decided on a Pororo hat, a cute little Korean cartoon about a penguin and his friends. Since we are going to be traveling on Thursday and Friday, I had until Wednesday morning to make it, so she could pick it up on her way to work.

I worked furiously on these two hats, and got them both done on time! Susan picked up her hat this morning, and I have the one for my students all ready to be handed to them as they leave class today.
Here is the Pororo hat. So many color changes! Super cute, if I do say so myself.

The hat I made for my students is a simple ear flap hat with a pompom on top, but I made it in the colors of the dad's favorite soccer team. Excuse the poor quality of the photo, it was taken on my phone, on top of the essays my students just turned in, next to the computer I am currently typing on.


I love making hats for people! They're relatively quick, but they show a lot of effort and love. I hope both parties enjoy their hats, and their new little boys to come!

On a side note - it's the last day of Summer Quarter! I'm watching as my students finish writing their final exam (and silently hurrying them on). Now, I just have to grade them, calculate final grades, enter the grades, and send an e-mail to my department chair and I am FREE!

I'm not excited or anything...Hello, Summer! And to all you people who are starting to talk about "back to school" - shut it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment