Friday, June 28, 2013

2 in 1 Pato Hat

Elijah loves the TV show Pocoyo. I had never heard of the show until he found it on a kid's tv app on my phone. It's a cute show about this little boy, Pocoyo, and his friends Pato (the duck), and Ellie (the Elephant) and their adventures in their all white (the color, not the ethnicity) world. I believe it was originally a Spanish show, but there is a British version that we watch. Elijah has also found it in Japanese, Chinese, Italian and German (thanks, PocoyoTube!).
http://topcartoonandcomic.blogspot.com/2012/09/pocoyo.html
Lately, he's been talking a lot about the hats Pocoyo and Pato wear. I'm not sure exactly what he's saying, but I catch the words "Pocoyo", "Pato", and "hat", so I'm pretty confident that's what he's talking about.

So, I decided to make him a Pato hat. Originally, I just wanted to make Pato's little green bowler-style hat. It took about 45 minutes, plus a little extra time to sew in some plastic canvas to keep the sides straight and tie on some elastic string. Elijah hates wearing hats, but I've found that he will wear party hats for a long time, so I wanted to replicate that idea.

Here's the little Pato hat. (Please excuse the missing nose...Elijah bit it off one day.)


Then I had an idea - what if I made a hat that looked like Pato, and then the little green hat could be worn on top of it. It would be two hats in one - awesome! I worked up a simple yellow beanie, sewed on an orange bill worked in the round, and made a couple of simple eyes.

Here's the Pato beanie.

And here's the two combined!


So fun! Up next (and by next, I mean sometime in the foreseeable future), a blue Pocoyo hat!

2 comments:

  1. I was making an aviator hat using the pattern you posted (which, BTW, turned out fabulously!) And I was using blue yarn the exact shade of pocoyo's. I tried the unfinished hat on my baby and when my daughter came into the living room she said he looked just like pocoyo. I was stunned she still remembered that show since she hasn't seen it in about 8 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea Pocoyo has been around that long! I'm so glad the hat turned out well for you.

      Delete